Summary and Response to “Love and Race” by Nicholas D. Kristof.
In Nicholas D. Kristof’s essay called “Love and Race”, he brings up the issue of interracial marriage in today’s society. He informs the reader of how views on this matter have changed in the past 50 years and for the better. By using evidence and facts, he proves that marriage between different ethnic groups are happening more and has the hope that they will build bridges between the barriers that divide people of different ethnic backgrounds.
Response:
By the facts the Kristof provided in his essay “Love and Race”, I would have to agree that the increase in interracial is a “happy trend”. All we ever hear about is racism, intolerance and injustice in our country’s past and present. Then this comes and its wonderful news to show that change is coming. This essay is the proof that we are starting to knock down the walls that divide us.
In his essay, Kristof gives us a bunch of stats that prove the interracial marriages are on the rise. I can see this to be true in my daily life at Iowa State. Walking across campus, I see interracial couples all the time. College institutions are places that encourage interaction with people of all different ethnic backgrounds. It is these interactions that I believe lead to the increase in interracial marriages.
I would also agree with Krisof that the media is trying to promote interracial marriages and couples. We see it all the time now in movies and on TV. It’s a good thing that this is happening. People get a lot of influence from the media around them and for once this influence is actually good.
Looking at the past of our country, we can see a lot terrible things that happened. Segregation, racism, hate crimes, and intolerance. It’s a sad part of our history, one that I wish that we could erase. Well we can’t erase it but we can try to make up for it. This information about the rising numbers of interracial marriages proves that the times are changing. It proves that people are accepting and tolerant of each other.
This is the sign of a happy trend because like Kristoff said, it’s leading to the breaking down of barriers between people of different ethnic backgrounds. For once it’s not a trend that is hurting anyone, instead its helping the cause of acceptance and equality. I would have to agree with Kristoff that this is the beginning of change because people in the U.S. Still don’t accept it. Most are southerners with old prejudices or older generations that still hold on to the prejudices of their time. But it’s a sign of something good and new. Over time we will become the older generation and hopefull prejudices of the past are just a memory then.
Response:
By the facts the Kristof provided in his essay “Love and Race”, I would have to agree that the increase in interracial is a “happy trend”. All we ever hear about is racism, intolerance and injustice in our country’s past and present. Then this comes and its wonderful news to show that change is coming. This essay is the proof that we are starting to knock down the walls that divide us.
In his essay, Kristof gives us a bunch of stats that prove the interracial marriages are on the rise. I can see this to be true in my daily life at Iowa State. Walking across campus, I see interracial couples all the time. College institutions are places that encourage interaction with people of all different ethnic backgrounds. It is these interactions that I believe lead to the increase in interracial marriages.
I would also agree with Krisof that the media is trying to promote interracial marriages and couples. We see it all the time now in movies and on TV. It’s a good thing that this is happening. People get a lot of influence from the media around them and for once this influence is actually good.
Looking at the past of our country, we can see a lot terrible things that happened. Segregation, racism, hate crimes, and intolerance. It’s a sad part of our history, one that I wish that we could erase. Well we can’t erase it but we can try to make up for it. This information about the rising numbers of interracial marriages proves that the times are changing. It proves that people are accepting and tolerant of each other.
This is the sign of a happy trend because like Kristoff said, it’s leading to the breaking down of barriers between people of different ethnic backgrounds. For once it’s not a trend that is hurting anyone, instead its helping the cause of acceptance and equality. I would have to agree with Kristoff that this is the beginning of change because people in the U.S. Still don’t accept it. Most are southerners with old prejudices or older generations that still hold on to the prejudices of their time. But it’s a sign of something good and new. Over time we will become the older generation and hopefull prejudices of the past are just a memory then.
No comments:
Post a Comment